Featured Post

SIX KEYS TO A LITERARY GENETIC CODE

In essays on the subject of centricity, I've most often used the image of a geometrical circle, which, as I explained here,  owes someth...

Thursday, July 23, 2009

KEEP GRANT MORRISON AWAY FROM ARTCOMICS!

In his recent interview with Onion's A.V. Club, Grant Morrison said:

"I have to confess I’m not a huge comics fan in the wider sense of comics as an art form. Apart from the absurdist comics like Michael Kupperman’s Tales Designed To Thrizzle and Steve Aylett’s The Caterer, I just like superhero stuff. I’ve never paid a great deal of attention to the undergrounds or the indie scene."

This led Sean Collins to ask his readers to find Morrison a "gateway comic" that would hook him to the wonders of the artcomics scene.

DON'T DO IT, GRANT!

Anyone remember this interview by Frank Miller in 1998?



















Well, I don't have it in front of me, but I clearly remember that in the course of the interview, Miller said that he'd become very interested in the then-current alternatives scene.

And three years later, we got this from Miller:







Otherwise known as "This is Miller's brain after artcomics."

Any questions?

4 comments:

Sean T. Collins said...

Considering that DK2 is FUCKING BRILLIANT, this is maybe not the best argument to make.

Gene Phillips said...

I think I'd go with, "Occasional moments of brilliance in a sea of WTF was he on--"

Duncan Falconer said...

No, Sean is right. I don't have much time for artcomix masen' either, though.

Gene Phillips said...

What's "masen?"

I thought of doing an essay purely on on Miller's goofy use of Luthor in DK2. I wouldn't take the position that Luthor is some sacrosanct figure that can't be changed up, but c'mon. There's really not much to be gained in having "Lex Luthor, Mad Scientist" look like one of those bruisers who used to fight Segar's Popeye.