Featured Post

SIX KEYS TO A LITERARY GENETIC CODE

In essays on the subject of centricity, I've most often used the image of a geometrical circle, which, as I explained here,  owes someth...

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

ANGRY SNOWFLAKES

No, not yet finished venting about the matters discussed here.

I was never able to convince the posters on CBR of my credentials as a classic liberal, probably because they were so unaware of political history that they believed their current form of ultraliberalism defined the entire spectrum.

Nevertheless, I had been a good liberal since I was old enough to vote. I believed that most liberals were working to correct the problems of society, and I voted Democratic in every election. Even when I had disagreements with idiots like Eldridge Cleaver, or, much later, with the COMICS JOURNAL's conversion to full-blown Adornite Marxism, I believed that liberals were working for the betterment of all Americans, and that the Right was just devoted to protecting the rich and starting B.S. issues like "the war on Christmas," allegedly started by Bill O'Reilly in 2004. When George W. Bush was in the White House from 2000 to 2009, I refused to listen to Fox News, since its multiple untruths were exposed (or so I thought) by books like Al Franken's LYING LIARS AND THE LIARS WHO TELL THEM. 

But in time, the Left collectively became dissatisfied with taking the high ground. Political correctness had been growing in power since the 1990s, and indeed, my first post here under the "politics" rubric was this 2009 essay, which took issue with Alan Moore's laughable views on the character of the American people. But during the eight years of Barack Obama's tenure, the intransigence of the Republican majority in Congress evidently exacerbated the Left's ability to produce coherent arguments. Even though Franken's book is at least partly a satire, his points are always cogent and not made in the service of some overblown ideology. Such was not the case when I engaged the fuzzy thinking of ultraliberals on Comicon.com, Sequart and the Hooded Utilitarian. None of the people I contended with were able to define their terms, and for me to even ask for a definition for terms was sometimes taken as "hate speech" in the service of the Right.

In my opinion, ultraliberals during Obama's presidency were fit to be tied by the Right's refusal to validate Obama's entire program, and in retaliation, they began to go nuts about defending every quasi-liberal cause, from the issue of the Big NastyTaboo Word no non-black person can speak, to constant criticisms against "straight white men," as exemplified by the best-selling Michael Moore book, 2001's STUPID WHITE MEN.

Political correctness, the attempt to control political discourse with extremely divisive ideological rhetoric, has finally turned me against the Left. I feel no desire to vote for Trump, should he be the candidate in 2020. But it seems to me that a vote for the Democrats would have no less noxious results. So, in 2020, I'll probably leave voting to the ideologically pure.


No comments: