Featured Post

SIX KEYS TO A LITERARY GENETIC CODE

In essays on the subject of centricity, I've most often used the image of a geometrical circle, which, as I explained here,  owes someth...

Friday, August 28, 2020

LAST NOTES ON WHITEHEAD


As I entered the last third of PROCESS AND REALITY, I found that the author began introducing not less but more specialized terms, to the point that I found most of the text unfathomable. So I confess I merely spot-read the rest of it, only marking the odd phrase or sentence, I’m glad that I did at least that much, for by so doing I did find one of Whitehead’s most all-embracing theme statements.

There is nothing in the real world which is merely an inert fact. Every reality is there for feeling: it promotes feeling; and it is felt. Also there is nothing which belongs merely to the privacy of feeling of one individual actuality. All origination is private. But what has been thus originated, publicly pervades the world.

With whatever accuracy, I will state that I find this passage fully congruent with the ideals of pluralism, as well as with the concept of intersubjectivity as I expounded upon the idea here. And with that broad statement, I will now leave Alfred North Whitehead in peace.


No comments: