Featured Post

SIX KEYS TO A LITERARY GENETIC CODE

In essays on the subject of centricity, I've most often used the image of a geometrical circle, which, as I explained here,  owes someth...

Saturday, January 22, 2022

DEPARTMENT OF COMICS CURIOSITIES #9

I feel like I might have seen one or two Golden Age comics-stories in which American-born Japanese citizens were shown to be nobler than the vicious Nipponese of the Axis alliance. But  before this tale from FOUR FAVORITES #16, I'd never seen a GA story that showed respect for the medieval Japanese tradition of the samurai, even for the purpose of using samurai honor as a club against the modern Japanese. The evil hook-handed villain in the costume is Captain Nippo, recurring foe of the starfish-cowled Captain Courageous.




No comments: