Featured Post

SIX KEYS TO A LITERARY GENETIC CODE

In essays on the subject of centricity, I've most often used the image of a geometrical circle, which, as I explained here,  owes someth...

Saturday, May 26, 2012

THE RETURN OF THE REPRESSED COMMENTS

Suddenly my comments are back on the Thompson thread mentioned in the previous post.  Sigh, that means it's possible that their disappearance *may* have been only an Internet hiccup.

That, or someone who reads this blog is fuckin' with me.

I'm no longer sure which seems more likely these days.

Anyway, conditional apologies to Kelly Thompson, who isn't likely to read them in any case.  Here's the comments, which I may build on later:

__________________


KT said:

“How can anyone look around at some of the recent successes we’ve been seeing in film – Avengers, Hunger Games, Bridesmaids, etc. and deny that women and girls have media power? They are 50% of the goddamn population.”

Absolutely.
But– even if it’s true that 40% of AVENGERS watchers are female, is that necessarily true of the other Hollywood femme-action films in KT’s visual montage?

Was 40% of KILL BILL’s viewership female?

The UNDERWORLD films?

The RESIDENT EVIL franchise?

Given a very long period in which American female viewers tended to avoid the Big Loud Action Movies, whether they starred heroes or heroines– I’d say it’s going to take a long time to convince Hollywood to invest in the theory of a massive sea-change (my term) in gender preferences.

No comments: