Featured Post

SIX KEYS TO A LITERARY GENETIC CODE

In essays on the subject of centricity, I've most often used the image of a geometrical circle, which, as I explained here,  owes someth...

Sunday, June 4, 2023

NEENER, NEENER, CBR

 Just a quick notation of this podcast by Clownfish TV to the effect that Comic Book Resources is in the process of major restructuring, laying off several employees, one of whom reportedly had been there for ten years.

Now, while I'm not precisely glad about anyone losing a job, it strikes me as the logical outcome of a business that chose to pursue only Radical Leftist fans as their base. I've mentioned here that I had several experiences with rabid Lefties while I was a member there, and that eventually I was banned for no stated reason, presumably for saying something that offended some snowflake. In the cited article from four years ago, I even quoted Clownfish as calling CBR a "dumpster fire," though Kneon and Geeky presumably had their own reasons for that observation, possibly very different from my own.

Clownfish TV doesn't draw the comparison I did, to the restructuring of CNN months ago for analogous reasons. That's not to say that it's any more profitable to court only conservatives either, though at present some FOX shows are doing better in terms of viewer-numbers than those on CNN. 

However, the big difference is that CNN does have an alternative; to return to a model of non-advocacy news. My earliest experience with CBR was from the days when individual artists had their own subgroups, and I gravitated to the Gail Simone subgroup only because a few people there showed a little knowledge of comic book history. But later, the Janelle Asselin suit and the Comicsgate controversy moved CBR firmly to the Far Left. I found that the Lefties were just as verbally abusive as the Comicsgate fans about whom they constantly complained. But in the minds of the ultraliberals, their abuse was OK, because they were supposedly defending the oppressed. I tend to doubt that most comic-book journalists know what non-advocacy journalism for comics would even look like, because of the sites are either Left-leaning or Far Left.

I don't know why any viewers with conservative or even middle-of-the-road sentiments would bother with CBR ever again. But I suppose I might be surprised, WAY down the road.




No comments: