Featured Post

SIX KEYS TO A LITERARY GENETIC CODE

In essays on the subject of centricity, I've most often used the image of a geometrical circle, which, as I explained here,  owes someth...

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A COUPLE OF CLARIFICATIONS

(1) In the "1001 myths" posts I won't deal with anything that is a *direct* adapation. For instance, many of the Tarzan novels have mythic resonance, but I won't cite any of their comics-adaptations, because the stories originated outside of comics.

However, if someone scripted a new Tarzan building in part on concepts created by the prose novels, I could conceivably include that story, if indeed it extends the mythic elements in a new direction. The BLONDIE comic-story I recently analyzed is, as far as I know, original to that comic book, even though it certainly builds on tropes articulated in the comic strip.

(2) There are, to be sure, many excellent stories in comic books that won't appear here because they are not plurisignative. A pertinent example is Will Eisner's SPIRIT story "Ten Minutes," which is a marvelous experiment with telling a comic-book story in seeming "real time." However, it's also a monosignative story, concerning only one level of symbolism. I may examine the relationship between mythicity and overall excellence in a future essay.

No comments: