Featured Post

SIX KEYS TO A LITERARY GENETIC CODE

In essays on the subject of centricity, I've most often used the image of a geometrical circle, which, as I explained here,  owes someth...

Monday, June 29, 2015

1001 COMIC-BOOK NIGHTS: A RESOURCE

I labeled a number of posts with the tag "1001 myths," even if those posts didn't contain actual myth-analyses. By so doing I ended up making more work for myself, since my current project requires a numerical list of said analyses. In addition, there are many posts in which I did myth-analyses not originally labeled as "1001 myths. If, in retrospect, any of these fit my current criteria, they will be added to the list after the fact.

I'll pursue the same logic with regard to listing my "inconsummate myths," in that I'll look at earlier analyses of comics that failed the "mythicity test." At one point I conceived, but did not make much use of, the term "null-myths," coined with reference to mathematics' "null sets." All of the analyses that deal with works that utilized something with mythic potential but failed to "consummate" said potential

Here's the original twenty-six:

1. ACTION COMICS #1-2, first appearance of Superman.

2. BLONDIE #150.

3. CEREBUS #298-300.

4. THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS.

5. ELFQUEST 1-20.

6. FANTASTIC FOUR #8.

7. GREEN LANTERN #16.

8. "Judgment Day," HEAVY METAL (1981).

9. INCREDIBLE HULK #1.

10. JAR OF FOOLS.

11. KAMANDI #30.

12. LADY SNOWBLOOD.

13. "Mickey Rodent," MAD #19.

14. NEW MUTANTS #62.

15. "The Lamb, Resurrected," ONE POUND GOSPEL.

16. "Woozy Winks Detective Agency," POLICE COMICS #20.

17. QUESTION #17.

18. RED SONJA #1.

19. "The Curse," THE SPIRIT.

20. "Lower Berth," TALES FROM THE CRYPT #33.

21. "A Good Catch," URUSEI YATSURA.

22. VOID INDIGO 1-2.

23.WONDER WOMAN #1

24. XENOZOIC TALES #8.

25. YUMMY FUR 1-18

26. ZATANNA 1-4..


And here are the new inductees:

27. JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #59.

28. "The Enchantress and the Executioner," JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #103.

29. INCREDIBLE HULK #142.

30. VISION OF ESCAFLOWNE 1-8.

31. "The Sea Circe from Space," THE JAGUAR #3.

32. CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS.


Now here's the "null-myths," which may or may not ever reach 1001:

1. BLACK PANTHER #1 (Kirby), in part 1 and part 2

2. "The Secret of the Sorcerer's Box," SHOWCASE #6.

3. THE MAGICMAN ARCHIVES.

4. WANTED.


Only 969 to go...




No comments: